Residential Chinese Teacher
Moira House Girls School is a leading independent day and boarding School in East Sussex for girls aged 0 to 18 years. Moira House Girls School, in keeping with its Christian foundation, provides an excellent all-round education, ensuring every student has the opportunity to attain her highest academic, artistic, musical, social and sporting potential.
We are looking for a Chinese teacher who has experience of working with secondary school age students. The ideal candidate must possess a commitment to a career in education, the right level of enthusiasm to inspire students and should be an aspiring teacher with a passion for education in order to engage students in the Chinese subject.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The person appointed must be willing to undertake all regulatory checks including an enhanced DBS disclosure or will hold a subscription to the DBS update service.
It is the responsibility of a Class Teacher to
- TEACH a class of students to develop knowledge, skills, understanding and abilities to the highest level, within a secure and challenging environment;
- UNDERTAKE associated pastoral and administrative duties and general responsibilities as agreed with the Principal;
- SET realistic and achievable standards which challenge students to achieve their personal best;
- MAINTAIN good order in the classroom and around the school with due regard to the school’s policy on behaviour and discipline;
- PROVIDE a good role model for students, ensure the effective methods of teaching to promote positive language and positive learning;
- SAFEGUARD THE HEALTH AND SAFETY of self and others in accordance with the school’s Health and Safety Policy;
- TEACH Chinese across the school.
Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
- Designing, preparing and designingthe Chinese language syllabus and lessons in accordance with curriculum requirements for the entire year, including segregating the syllabus as per class session;
- Preparing and marking students’ exercises and examinations as well as evaluating students’ progress;
- Apart from the academic education, the Chinese teacher is required to impart rules of ethical conduct and modest behavior to the students;
- Meeting with students' parents discussing the demeanor of students in class and their performance in the academic tests and examinations;
- Discussing and giving appropriate suggestion/advice to students regarding their academic progress and any other issues/problems;
- Maintaining a precise record of attendance and grades of students and submits them to the management team;
- Maintaining classroom discipline adherence to school’s policy on behavior and discipline.
- Must fluent in Mandarin including speaking, writing and listening;
- Must have a Degree in Chinese Language Teaching or equivalent;
- At least one year experience of working with middle school students.
- Knowledge of, and fluency with, the A-level Chinese syllabus is essential.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills including communicate effectively with children, parents and staff;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office;
- A strong and mature classroom management ability;
- Boundless energy, enthusiasm and willingness to contribute fully to the life of a busy school;
- The ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with students;
- Appropriate attitudes to the use of authority and maintaining discipline;
- The ability to contribute to the wider curriculum through games or activities.
- The applicant must be available to work all year round and be competent and confident to lead the Schools Winter, Summer and Easter Short Stay School Programme.
- This is a Residential role at the School and the applicant will play a lead role in the pastoral care and wellbeing of students.