We are seeking to recruit a Placement Officer/Assessor to support students on the BA (Hons) Early Years Education and Practice degree programme (this post may also service course developments proposed for 2017).
Main Purpose of Job:
- To develop, organise, oversee and monitor the placement of students on the BA (Hons) Early Years, Education and Practice degree.
- To assess the competency of students in practice and to support the placement mentor.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties:
- To identify and secure suitable placements for students on the BA (Hons) Early Years Education and Practice Programme (plus service course developments planned for 2017).
- Match students to a range of placements, liaising with students and placement mentors when undertaking this activity and maintaining an accurate database of placements and student records relating to placement.
- To visit and assess students during the course of their placement, to support a rigorous monitoring and assessment processes in line with the National Occupational standards outlined by the Care Council; for Wales and provide appropriate recording and reporting feedback .
- To evaluate all placements on an ongoing basis and write an annual quality assurance report.
- To act as a link between the placement providers/mentors, the programme team and students.
- To extend the range and diversity of placement settings for students to ensure maximum employability opportunities.
- To assist the Head of Subject Area and Course Leader in developing and supporting the network of placement settings and coordinate liaison meetings on a regular basis.
- To troubleshoot any issues that arise related to placement and follow the USW Safeguarding Policy if the need arises
- To liaise with relevant departments within the University to ensure that all students have undergone the required DBS checks and completed the required Health and Safety documentation
- To liaise with the BA (Hons) Early Years Education and Practice Programme team on matters relating to placement and to the completion of assessment requirements (competency mapping/portfolio logs/practice based evidence).
- To advise the Programme Team on the changes to the evolving employment opportunities and to advise on the demands of various placements in order to maintain the quality of the programme and meet employer needs.
- To contribute to tutorial sessions that enhance the placement experience.
- To increase knowledge and understanding of current developments in work based learning and employability issues, particularly in light of Care Council for Wales developments and feed into course/module reviews
- On an annual basis, to support information session to enhance the awareness of placement requirements to the placement mentors and provide support for mentors throughout the academic year.
- In conjunction with the course team, to be responsible for the development and updating of a range of documentation including ; Placement Mentor guidance, Placement Handbooks and student tracking files
- To be responsible for updating IT information platforms which support placement mentors and student attendance monitoring
- To participate in the academic life of the Early Years team, the School and the University as a whole.