Mechanical Engineers – Product Development – Senior Consultants
You will join our expert technology team that designs and develops new products for organisations across a broad range of sectors including healthcare, communications, consumer products and defence.
We will make the most of your track record in concept and detail design roles in the development of products, systems and technology. You will take responsibility for part or all of the mechanical detailing on projects, developing medical and consumer products and equipment from concept, through prototype manufacture, to product commercialization.
This role will provide you with the perfect opportunity to work with clients to deliver outstanding new products with a particular focus mechanical hardware implementation. You will be involved in creating innovative solutions to complex, challenging technical problems with a hands on practical problem solving approach. You will be supporting clients across a range of industry sectors to deliver products and process solutions.
We provide a one-stop product development service that takes products to market, from advising on business cases and creating initial concepts through to design and development; from manufacture and supply chain set-up to ongoing support for lasting success.
Why join PA?
Our mechanical design engineers enjoy many and diverse technical challenges, creating solutions to manufacturing process problems where you cannot buy an off the shelf solution. The satisfaction is not only seeing the final products out in the market but in knowing that this is a novel and new solution to a problem that has not be solved before.
Variety – Opportunity to work across a range of sectors, on different types of assignments (including feasibility studies leading to prototypes, full-blown development project and consultancy).
Structure – as we’re project orientated we have a flexible structure. Your career progress is based on your ability and personal growth; it isn’t dependent on gaps opening up in an org chart.
Impact - your interests and ideas can help to shape the work we sell and the work you do. We don’t have dedicated sales team which allows everyone to get involved in working with potential clients to help shape work.
Formative stages of the product lifecycle - You will often deal with the senior management of the client during the formative stages – when they’re deciding what the product will be, and assessing the business case for it.
Candidates will possess the necessary technical breadth to adapt well to a consulting environment. You will have a proactive and creative approach to your work, showing aptitude and ambition, and the ability to apply your skills to the creation, analysis and development of products through the entire project life cycle.
• 1st class Honours degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in product development consulting
• High level of proficiency in SolidWorks
• Understanding of plastic moulding part and tool design (particularly high volume)
• Substantial experience in product design; from concept, through to detail design, to scale-up and volume manufacturing
• Intuitive understanding of risk management
• Experience in the management of external contractors
• Knowledge and experience in the fundamentals of low voltage electronics, particularly fault finding
• Experience in writing process control documentation
• Experience in undertaking scientific experiments, analysing results and report writing
• Knowledge of assembly processes and good DFMA skills
• Client focus, with a professional and confident communication style
• Expertise in fluid dynamics, particularly micro-fluidics
• Tolerance analysis for mass production
• Knowledge of high pressure metal casting
• Experience in design and manufacture of fast moving consumer goods
• Experience designing packaging and opening systems that maximise barrier properties
• Experience and knowledge of FEA and CFD modelling
• Understanding of quality control and risk management
• Working knowledge and experience of the regulatory environment in the USA and EU
• In depth knowledge of material science, particularly polymers
• The ability to innovate and think freely
• Proven track record of working individually and in teams of highly skilled engineers in a complex technical project-based environment
• Energy and enthusiasm to take on new challenges in a range of industry sectors
• Adaptability and flexibility
• Able to solve problems using both logic and creative/innovative approaches
• Numerate and highly computer literate, with excellent analytical skills
• Able to plan and prioritise, work to deadlines and under pressure
• Work flexible hours to achieve deadlines when required
• Able to undertake international travel at short notice on occasion
About PA Consulting Group
The nature of our business means that we can not only offer our engineers an exciting variety of work, but also the opportunity to see an initial idea develop into a real tangible product over a relatively short time period.
As engineering professionals, we like nothing better than delivering a product solution that provides our clients with a competitive edge.
PA’s dedicated technology centre near Cambridge is full of the brightest engineering and scientific minds; we deliver “concept to manufacture” engineering research design and development services to our clients across a broad range of sectors, including communications, healthcare and consumer products.
We have been bringing our clients ground-breaking innovations for much of our 70-year history.
You may wish to find out more about our latest technological innovations:
What can PA offer you?
• The right team – the opportunity to work with a variety of clients and bright colleagues, working towards the same goals and achieving them together
• Unconstrained thinking - the opportunity to turn accepted wisdom on its head and the freedom to think independently
• Exceptional results – our varied experience and wide range of services allow our people to broaden their skills and knowledge whilst delivering exceptional results for our clients
• Lasting impact – our work goes beyond getting the job done. We are large enough to attract an impressive, diverse client base, yet small enough to allow each team member to cultivate a strong professional profile and share in the success we create for clients.
PA Consulting Group is a leading management, systems and technology consulting firm. Employee-owned, award-winning, independent, highly successful, global, and ambitious for further growth - PA is a different kind of consulting firm. We look to hire exceptional people and provide them with opportunities that they will not find elsewhere. We are looking for opinion-formers, people who prize a culture based on respect, collaboration, and new ideas, and who have a passion for delivering solutions to the most complex and challenging issues affecting business and government. PA offers a career in consulting, not just a job; a stake in our firm; and an environment where individuals and ideas matter.
We recognise that diversity is strength and that the differences between people add value to our organisation. PA Consulting Group is committed to equality and diversity and positively welcomes applications from suitably qualified candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of sex, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, religion or age.