Our A-one+ joint venture; a Halcrow / Colas / Costain company, sees us take on an exciting new highways maintenance contract on Area 4 motorway and trunk roads.
This leads us to look to appoint a General Manager to provide leadership and direction to the Area 4 team, focusing on safety, commercial success, stakeholder & employee engagement and client satisfaction. Based in the Area 4 principal office in Kent, but will require regular travel within the Area 4 network and throughout the UK.
Reporting to the A-one+ Managing Director the role will be responsible for leading the Area 4 programme on behalf and maintaining an effective interface with the client and all other stakeholders in the Area 4 community.
Key responsibilities will fall within the following areas:
Client & Stakeholder Management
• First point of contact for the Client and Network Board
• Presents proposals to the Client and Network Board for improvements to the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of the programme
• Overall responsibility for service delivery, ensuring that the Client’s objectives as defined in the client’s business plan are delivered
• Understands commercial drivers, takes full accountability for cost management ensuring that delivery is in line with the Client’s budget
• Overall responsibility for the Area 4 profit and loss accounts and cash flow
• Able to drive efficiency and continual productivity improvements
• Proactively manage risk and opportunities
• Overall responsibility for ensuring compliance with the Integrated Management System and the management of the business through formal risk management process
• Understands and champions the delivery of the programme.
• Develops relationships, deployment and integration of supply chain
• Overall responsibility for meeting the performance requirements of the Contract and driving lean and continuous improvement programmes.
• Champions Sustainability Safety, Health and Environment and ensures that standards are set, maintained and continually challenged for improvement
• Supports the Managing Director in all strategic functions in delivery of the programme
• Member of the A-one+ Executive Management Team and leader of the Area 4 Area Leadership Team
• Ability to lead a complex integrated Joint Venture and manage the various Parent Company interfaces
• Establishes clear lines of communications throughout the integrated team, defining roles and responsibilities in order to ensure the efficient use of resources and the delivery of cost effective solutions
• Champions the development of a Lean culture and use of ‘Lean’ techniques within the business.
• Promotes a culture of innovation, best practice and continuous improvement
• Leads the team to deliver the cultural shift to enable highway excellence and promotes a positive culture
• Ensures succession plans are in place for key roles and people risks are understood and managed
• An exemplary role model in demonstrating the required behaviors throughout the Joint Venture
The Opportunity: A leadership role with great opportunity to contribute to strategic direction and deliver fresh impetus and innovative ideas to this key highway Maintenance programme. Championing health, safety & sustainability which are core values of our business. Working alongside collaborative senior management in a highly visible and respected Highways Maintenance business whose portfolio continues to grow through new & re-won contracts. Between A-One+ & CH2M we are one of the leading highway engineering companies, partnering Highways England on many of their major programmes of work and in a key advisory role.Minimum Qualifications
• Degree qualified or equivalent
• Chartered engineer or similar professional qualification
• Proven leadership and strong people management skills with the ability to develop integrated team working.
• Previous experience of managing a multi-disciplinary senior team is essential.
• Good external stakeholder management skills
• Broad knowledge of Motorway and Trunk Road Network Management is essential.
• Business acumen e.g. able to demonstrate significant improvements in efficiencies/costs in previous roles and a good understanding of the commercial aspects of a MAC Contract.
• Trained Lean champion
• Professional approach and able to operate as an effective role model for the A-one+ values and culture.
• Evidence of introducing cultural improvement through harnessing employee commitment and engagement is essential.
• Client and customer focused and able to demonstrate evidence of successful partnering and/or collaboration activities.
• Able to demonstrate development of an innovative business culture and delivery of successful business improvement initiatives.
• Experience of leading an excellent safety culture in a high risk environment, Behavioral Based Safety
• Experience of working in a MAC/ASC or large scale multidisciplinary contract at senior management level is essential with strategic highway service delivery
Our Culture: Safety & health conscious, flexible working conditions, collaborative & friendly with regular social activities. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as individuals wanting to advance their career. We know that ‘our family, our work and our people help demonstrate how we unquestionably deliver our vision: ‘One team delivering highway excellence’.
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK, CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.