Job Title: Functional Skills Tutor – (Apprenticeships)
Salary: £22,000 - £26,000
Purpose of the post
To plan, deliver and develop functional skills curriculum (Maths, English and ICT ) for learners on various Apprenticeship programmes enabling the achievement of the recommended level and progressing to one level higher if required.
- To keep updated about changes in policy and practice around Maths,English and ICT (e.g. the current development of Functional Skills) and disseminating this to relevant staff.
- To support the Course Lead and Programme Manager to achieve business and performance targets.
- To plan, deliver and evaluate Maths, English and ICT as part of the Functional Skills element of the Apprenticeship framework by:
- Producing schemes of work and lesson plans
- Identifying and developing resources
- Supporting learners and recording progress
- Evaluating course satisfaction returns
- To deliver Functional Skills in both classroom and work base environments.
- To organise (and where necessary, source) Functional Skills resources.
- To contribute to ensuring that Functional Skills are offered through a range of delivery modes to meet the needs of learners (e.g. group-based, blended learning) and tests are available in paper-based (if required by the learner) and on-line versions.
- To ensure that the recording of Functional Skills testing is undertaken accurately and monitor achievement across subjects, levels and programmes.
- To devise individual learning plans by taking into consideration various learning styles and individual learner needs.
- To complete registers and learner records fully and according to requirements.
- To provide monthly updates on Functional Skills achievements and highlight any issues that would prevent achievement, and ensure that success targets are achieved.
- To work flexibly in hours of work and over a number of employer sites to facilitate learner engagement and achievement.
- To evaluate and develop own practice.
- To be willing to undertake training and development activities that would support the development of the role.
- To be willing to explore innovative ideas and approaches to delivery and assessment through new technology such as iPads, Apps, Social Media.
- To undertake all other duties that falls within the scope of the post.
Person specificationKNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE/AWARENESSProven, high quality skills in teaching
ESignificant experience teaching and assessing Functional Skills
EExperience in teaching GCSE
DAwareness of needs of learners of all ages who have underachieved in the education system, especially in Maths and English
EEmpathy with adults who have low levels of confidence relating to learning and personal achievement
ECompetent to teach ICT
DExperience of team working in the delivery of provision
DProven robust classroom management skills
Teacher trained (CertEd, PGCE, DTLLS or equivalent with a subject specialisation in Literacy and/or Numeracy and or ICT )
Excellent standard in English and Maths
Ability to motivate and build confidence in learners of all ages
Ability to support learners towards high levels of achievement
Can liaise professionally with a wide range of staff and external agencies
EPERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Excellent organisational and time management skills
High level of commitment to widening participation in learning
Creative/innovative approach to work
Patient, honest and reliable
A flexible approach to work, resilient and willing to accept change.
Have access to own transport and able to travel to various sites in the region (some national travel may be required)
Able to obtain a satisfactory DBS clearance