EDITOR: Retail Gazette
Salary: Dependent on experience
Location: London, UK
This is an opportunity to be head up one of the UK retail industry’s most influential B2B news websites.
Founded in 2010, the Retail Gazette is a fast-growing, free publication featuring news and feature articles about the dynamic UK retail sector. It has an average monthly readership of 120,000, more than 13,000 newsletter subscribers, and more than 20,000 followers on Twitter.
We are looking for a full-time, experienced Editor, with a good sense of what makes an interesting angle to a retail news story, to juggle all the parts of publication.
You will plan, coordinate, review and edit all news and feature content, as well as manage and nurture a small editorial team.
The successful candidate will be able to decide which ideas should be pursued and which should get dropped in order to meet quality and accuracy standards.
The goal is to provide exceptional, informative and engaging content about UK retail and UK retailers.
The job is based in Retail Gazette’s Oxford Circus office in London, United Kingdom.
The candidate must be able to work 38 hours per week, full time, in set hours.
- Coordinate an online publishing cycle and manage content areas
- Set publication standards and establish goals and expectations
- Write news stories and features
- Compile a daily newsletter every morning
- Suggest stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences
- Ensure consistency of website layout and keep it fresh with the most up-to-date news
- Subedit and proofread news and feature articles for accuracy and errors
- Provide constructive feedback to journalists to improve stories and content
- Ensure KPIs are met each day
- Recruit and manage writers and reporters when required
- Cooperate and liaise with the head of sales
- Liaise with advertising clients over sponsored content
- Comply with media law and ethical guidelines
- Meet deadlines and budget requirements
- Sometimes have early starts
- Attend networking events after hours
- Attend conferences
- Be the face of Retail Gazette in TV and radio interview opportunities
- At least 4 years of experience as an Editor
- At least 8 years of experience in digital journalism
- At least 8 years of experience managing masthead accounts on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- At least 18 months of experience in retail B2B news, with a portfolio to prove this
- Established contacts within the retail industry
- A degree in journalism
- British journalism experience
- Proven track record of prioritizing and multitasking
- Must be trilingual in English, French and Arabic
- Experience in subediting and proofreading both news and features stories
- Top-shelf written skills and grammar knowledge in English
- Hands on experience using Wordpress
- Proven familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
- Experience in adapting and implementing style guides
- Experience in leading and nurturing a team of journalists
- Proven track record of growing online readership numbers
- Proven track record of growing social media reach and engagement
- Experience liaising with advertising clients for sponsored content
- Experience in representing a masthead at networking events and conferences
- Experience in speaking on behalf of the a masthead for radio and TV outlets
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking
If this sounds like you, in your application please include:
- Your CV
- A cover letter addressing the job specs – maximum one page
- Links to at least 10 different and published retail news stories with your byline on it
- A list of 5 story ideas, each with a 300-word (maximum) description of how they would be executed, the reasoning behind your chosen angle and why it would be suitable for Retail Gazette’s readers.
Send your applications to: email@example.com
Deadline: 29 January 2018